When you are building a home yourself you get to customise the layout so that it fits your personal needs and desires. You can truly create a home all your own and we would like to share some important thoughts to consider as you are planning on building your home as far as the layout is concerned.
- Light Switches & Electrical Outlets – Think about the things you will need outlets for and be sure that first there are enough outlets and also make sure they are in the proper locations throughout the home. The light switches should also be placed where they are easily accessible and will work well for you and your family.
- Laundry Layout – one of life’s cruel jokes, this pile of laundry that never seems to end. When building your home think about what would make your laundry day easier for you whether that is the laundry located on the second floor with the bedrooms or installing a laundry chute, make it work for you.
- Functioning Drains – I can’t stress how important properly working drains are; talk with your contractor and plumber to ensure your drains are going in the correct direction to properly function.
- Outside outlets & faucets – Will you be entertaining outdoors of your new home? Consider what you will be doing outside your home and be sure to plan any outlets and faucets so they will be most beneficial to you and your family.
- Ceiling Height – if you are a tall family chances are this probably already crossed your mind. Ceiling height can add character to a room but higher ceilings can also make heating that room more difficult. Keep these things in mind when it comes to the building of the rooms.
- Storage – closets, basement, attic, and other storage spaces could make or break things. If you need lots of storage plan for it now then you won’t have to worry about running out of places to stick things later. If you are unsure about storage it is always better to plan ahead and have extra closets and other storage spaces that you might not use rather than need storage spaces and not have them.
The most important thing to remember is this will be your home for many years to come, so build it wisely and be sure you customise it to your needs both current and any future needs that may arise. If it makes it easier write down all the things you would like to have in your new home and then place those into categories of importance, this could help ensure you have all the necessities without things you don’t need.